>> View All Featured Events

Home > Publications > Prancing Horse > Prancing Horse the First 150 Issues

Prancing Horse the First 150 Issues

by Jeff Allison

Prancing Horse 150You hold in your hands Prancing Horse #150. If, when you finish reading it, you place it alongside its 149 siblings on your bookshelf, you have one of the very few complete sets of this publication. PH was first published in 1964, two years after the Ferrari Club of America was incorporated in Illinois. Though a bit sporadic early on, it's been published continuously since that first issue.

Beginning as a monthly newsletter, PH was fairly simple. It was mimeographed on to 8.5" x 11" sheets that were stapled once in the upper left hand corner. The first fifteen issues came with 8" x 10" black and white glossy photos slipped between the pages. Once the club's new color logo was added to the masthead in issue IV, the format remained through issue XX, which arrived in mailboxes around "Yuletide" of 1968. In that issue, it was noted that the membership had passed the 300 mark, and, to satisfy the information-hungry masses, the first 15 issues were reprinted and made available for purchase. Then the magazine started changing.

Issue XXI carried the first orange and black cover sheet and was stapled twice in the left margin. By issue XXVII, PH had become a true magazine: the content was arranged on 1 1 " x 17" pages, folded to an 8.5" x 11" format, saddle stitched in the fold with a separate cover sheet. Roman numerals were dropped in favor of Arabic at #30, and #32 wore the last orange and black cover.

As the FCA entered its second decade with 500 members, it was the "largest and oldest Ferrari club in the world." The PH, rescheduled as a quarterly, became the club's "prestige" publication, designated as the repository for material of permanent interest. The new monthly "Bulletin" was born to disseminate more current material of temporary interest. Issue #33 debuted the first full color cover on coated stock, and #40 contained the first color pages inside the magazine.

Issues followed along fairly regularly, varying occasionally in format. Issue #59/60 was produced as a double issue - the only one produced to date - and was largely devoted to the 512 S and M competition cars. Some issues had "extras" slipped between the pages including #65, which contained a 15" x 22" poster from the 1982 FCA Annual Meet held in Toronto. Issue #66 introduced a new size (1 /4" narrower and 3/4" taller), which lasted 17 issues, and #84 returned to the 8.5" x 11" format. Issue #92 contains the only centerfold, which was a panoramic photo from the 1989 Annual Meet in Atlanta, folding out to 34".

A mandate from the board of directors brought a commitment to on-time publication, and production has occurred like clock-work over the last 66 issues. The last significant change occurred in 1997 when #124 was produced with color available on all pages. A membership survey in autumn of 2002 (see the article in #147 summarizing the results) revealed that 92% of the respondents indicated they read "most or all issues" of PH. Sixty nine percent ranked the magazine as the most important benefit of membership in the club. Additionally, there were a couple of PH-specific questions inviting written answers. We read and considered every one of your comments, and we've already incorporated some of your suggestions. To the many members who wrote in asking us to "increase frequency" or said "perfect as is," PH thanks you for your interest and support.

To celebrate 150 issues of the Prancing Horse, the former editors were asked to remember some of their experiences producing and publishing the magazine. Here follow their comments.

The first fifteen issues all came with photos - anywhere from one to three 8x1 Os per issue, the vast majority of them carrying more than one image.

There were a total of 25 or 26 (#VI was provisioned two different ways). Prancing Horse #107 has an article showing all the photos and identifying them by their issues.

Near the end of 1968, the first 15 issues were reprinted and offered for sale. The reprints are on coarser paper, have heavier type and, most notably, lack the color logo which the original newsletters had from the fourth issue forward.

Ken Hutchison (1964-1965)

What was to become the Ferrari Club of America began when a group of enthusiasts gathered on Saturday mornings at George Reed's Goodyear and Ferrari distributorship (RRR [Reed's Racing Rats] Motors) in the Chicago suburb of Homewood, Illinois. The Ferrari guys would mix it up with C. J. Habich and Chas Pritchard, a W. C. Fields clone, about what marque or model was better than the other. John Lundin and I met there, and soon we were saying, "Gee, wouldn't it make sense to form a Ferrari club?" Along with Tom Caufield of Barrington, Illinois, we hiked to a Des Plaines realty to put together incorporation papers. The original gang included John Delamater, Dick Merritt and Larry Nicklin. I still had my 500 TRC (0658 MDTR) and my blue and yellow 2.5-liter Export Vignale coupe (01 28 E) at the time. John Lundin had "old brown," a very attractive Vignale Inter Coupe. Larry had the 4.1 -liter Vignale Mexico (which was on display at the Auburn Duesenberg Cord Museum the last time I was there). Tom had his Touring-bodied, 2.7-liter barchetta, which he bravely drove everywhere, rain or shine. Delamater was busily selling Ferraris, and as I recall, had the 250 MM Vignale spyder (0348 MM) that came my way later. I can't recall what Dick had at the time - he had cars and parts going big time. It was a good group.

We sort of divided up the tasks. I became the editor of the newsletter because my employer was North Advertising, where there were some very useful resources, but, most importantly, they were free as our group had very little financial resource.

Words in Road & Track and recognition by the Ferrari factory made people aware of the club, and we quickly grew to 20 members. Once the logo was designed, we had something to put at the top of our newsletter. Originally, most of the news was about "us," such as how the club jewelry was coming along, news of the badge and why it wasn't ready yet, a listing of members and what was happening in the little known (at the time) world of Ferrari.

I used the agency mimeograph department and "liberated" agency paper to produce the first three issues of PH. To add a bit of zip to the words, we inserted 8 X 10 glossy photos of new cars and special events.

One night about 7:30 pm, I was in my office collating and stapling the mimeographed copies when my boss and pal walked in and said, "Who's paying for all this paper and printing?" Like a deer in the headlights, I just stared blankly, and the boss walked out laughing. Gotcha! That could have been the end of PH right there! Later, John Lundin, his wife Judy and I addressed, stamped and stuffed envelopes while eating spaghetti. I expect it's changed a bit by now!

As the club grew, so did the bank balance. However, we were so used to working poor it never occurred to us that we probably could afford to do a slicker newsletter. And so on to the next phase in the life of PH with great improvements, courtesy of the Detroit contingent led by Dick Merritt and Warren Fitzgerald.

Dick Merritt (1965-1960)

Strange as it may now seem, back in the late 1950s and 1960s and into the early 1970s, there was almost no interest here, and little in Europe, in used Ferraris. Least desirable of all were obsolete and often worn out race cars. In 1957, I bought my first Ferrari, a perfect 1953 212 Inter Touring barchetta (0253 EU), ex-Henry Ford II, in Detroit for $3,600. In the winter of 1957-8, no one would buy it, even at my cost, so I dragged it out to Boulder, Colorado in a blizzard and easily sold it for $4,600. Recently it has been for sale in Europe for around $1,000,000.

Around 1965, Gary Wales and I owned 410 Superfast I (0483 SA), and tried to sell it to Tom Barrett and Bill Harrah for $6,000 but neither was interested. In 1969 or 1970, I bought an alloy, competition 250 GT SWB (2159 GT), which had placed third in the 1963 Tour de France, from the late and great Rob de la Rive Box in Switzerland for $2,800. The next day, I sold it to an old friend from my GM Styling days, Jud Holcombe, for $3,200. Today, you can add about three more zeros to that price! All this to explain how little interest there was in those days.

I would say Prancing Horse certainly helped spread the word and stirred up interest in used Ferraris. Another factor was the very existence of the FCA, which was holding events where proud owners could bring their cars. Also, the first comprehensive reference book came out in 1968, published by Bond Publishing Company. (editor's note: The book was Ferrari - The Sports and Gran Turismo Cars by Warren W. Fitzgerald and Richard F Merritt.)

In 1965, the late Carl Bross from Detroit put the first true Ferrari collection together with my encouragement and gratis assistance. Pierre Bardinon began his spectacular Mas du Clos collection in France around 1969. The late Norm Silver in High Point, North Carolina was also an early collector. Back then, the only "dealers" in old Ferraris, at least in the east, that I can recall were Harry Woodnorth in Chicago, Dell Lee in Detroit and the late Ed Jurist in Nyack, New York at the Vintage Car Store. Also, John Delamater in Indianapolis usually had a Ferrari on consignment or in stock to sell. Eventually, Kirk F. White in Philadelphia, I guess in 1969 or the early 1970s, opened up shop and put out a newsletter with glowing descriptions of the great jewels he had for sale. He and Tiny Gould put on the first collector car auction in suburban Philadelphia.

Eventually the Bugatti Club in England added a Ferrari Club subsidiary in 1968, and they produced a fine publication devoted to the marque. All this activity did not fail to get the attention of the Commendatore and PH had a hand in informing him of our existence and activities. In January 1968, when I was FCA president, Enzo Ferrari sent me a letter which stated in part: "I have been informed by my collaborators of the assiduous and continuous propaganda and cooperation made by the members of your Club in the U.S. This increases my consideration for your Organization and I wish herewith to express my personal gratification for your initiative..."

Enthusiasm for the marque grew as a result, I believe, of a "critical mass" that developed from (1) the PH to spread the "gospel," (2) FCA events and (3) a practical reference book (dare I say bible?), (4) active collectors both here and in Europe and (5) dealers and brokers offering and promoting the ownership of an old Ferrari.

Not many realize how fragile and perilous the FCA was in the early years. Most "experts" (including myself) doubted the Club would survive and develop. My wife never failed to remind me that we were doomed. Early membership growth was painfully slow, and the Club finances were always on the ragged edge. Early on, Bill Markley, an affluent Detroit area classic car collector, gave us $100 for postage, printing, etc. to keep things alive. Later, Bill asked for and received a refund of the small amount that hadn't yet been spent. I was even dubious that old Ferraris would ever be a good investment and passed up five 250 GTOs going for around $5-9,000. I did get brave and bought a 250 GTO (3769 GT with the engine from 3451 GT) at $8,000 from Rob Box. However, I soon had "buyer's remorse" and sold it to a friend for $8,000, who later turned down $14 million! Oh, the Ferrari stories I could tell if anyone wants to listen.

The talented Ken Hutchison in the Chicago area produced issues #1 through #3. What appears to be #1, albeit not numbered as such, must have come out very late in 1964 or early in 1965. Issue #2 was so labeled, and it claimed 79 members for the Club and appears to have been issued about July or August 1965. Issue #3 probably appeared in October 1965.

With #4, the production moved to Detroit and my good friend and fellow GM Styling employee, the late Warren W. Fitzgerald, brashly promised twelve issues per year. It was now professionally printed with a red masthead featuring the club badge. I wrote seven of the eleven pages myself. From #5, Fitz and I did PH until we conned Manfred Lampe, who worked at Ford Styling in Dearborn, into the arduous task, beginning with #20. We wrote, composed, arranged the printing, assembled, stuffed, labeled, stamped and mailed each issue. Most of the work was done in Bill Markley's personal office in the evening.

We must have had help in this mushrooming task, but I can't remember much except for Bill Markley's long-suffering secretary helping. Happily, contributors began to provide articles, but, when we didn't have enough material, we reprinted articles from my files that I had collected to fill up the pages. Each issue was now being dated as follows: #5 was January 1966, #6 was February 1966, #7 was March 1966, # 8 was April 1966, #9 was May 1966, #10 was June 1966, #11 was July and August 1966, #12 was Yuletide 1966 and #13 was March and April 1967. This was the last issue under John Lundin as the first president. All considered a commendable record.

I was elected president of the FCA when #14 was published. It was dated May-June 1967, and it contained the text of a telegram from Enzo Ferrari to Karl Ludvigsen to be read at the 1967 annual meet in Greenwich, Connecticut. Enzo stated in part: "...I am happy to know of this expression of your sincere interest and friendship toward the Scuderia Ferrari. All of the members of the Ferrari organization follow with particular interest the activities and development of the Ferrari Club and appreciate the regard you hold for our work." PH was one of the ways in which Enzo became aware of the Club and our activities.

We managed to get out ten issues before Gerry Sutterfield took over as president two years later. For the fiscal year ending May 1, 1967, the Club expenses had been $3,786, income was $5,089 and there was cash-inthe-bank of $1,303. A loan of '' $1,000 was repaid to Bill Markley. Membership was respectable at "almost" 300. Maybe the FCA would survive after 10, all!. Issue #14 was dated May-June 1967, #15 was Fall 1967, #16 was Winter 1968, #17 was Summer 1968, #18 was Autumn 1968, #19 was Fall 1968 and #20 was Yuletide 1968, when Manfred Lampe became the editor and the membership was less than 400.

With #21, dated January 1969, Manfred Lampe changed the appearance completely and the cover was now red with dramatic artwork. After all, Manfred was a very gifted young artist and designer. In February 1969, #22 appeared and included a list of all paid-up members. I was listed as president in #23 so it must have come out before the annual meet and the election of officers in Detroit, which was on April 18-20, 1969. There was also no date on #24, but it listed the new officers with Gerry Sutterfield as president, who promised to mail six issues of PH per year. Issue #25 was also undated, but I'd guess it was about August or September 1969. (My copy has 11-3-69 handwritten on the back). Leaning back and thinking about it, the PH was the only way the Commendatore would have known about the FCA and its activities and what the Ferrari scene in the U.S. was like back in those days. Little did we know or dream of what was to come. I never expected to see #150 but thankfully it's great we both survived. It's been fun!

Manfred Lampe (1968-1984)

Motown during the mid-1960s was all about big American cars. Ferraris were very rare, but my first 250 GT Ferrari enabled my introduction to two of the super enthusiasts at the time, Dick Merritt and Warren (Fitz) Fitzgerald. Soon we became good friends, and it did not take long when both had talked me into an involvement with the FCA and Prancing Horse. (editor's note: Manfred's first issue as editor was #XX, Yuletide 1968.)

Long before my name appeared on these pages, I was already allowed to address and stuff the envelopes with the black and white pages of the "monthly newsletter." As a designer by profession, I soon tried to upgrade the newsletter with color and layout, but, with less than 300 members, there was little money. Instead the FCA still owed money to Bill Markley, who had helped at one point to get it all started.

It changed when I had located the cheapest print shop in the worst part of Detroit. The newsletter now had a red cover for a little less money, but we wanted to go further. Bill Markley helped out again. His back cover ad for his Detroit Chevrolet dealership on Woodward Avenue funded the first four-color issue, and the FCA now had a "real" magazine scheduled for quarterly publication.

With growing membership color reproduction finally found its way to the inside of the magazin. John Giorldano helped to pay for the extra costs by finding additional advertisers. And the contributions from members, friends, historians, writers and the factory were what insured the quality of the magazine. And, thank heaven, we had Janet Johnson, who always made sure that bills were paid on time and that I kept the expenses within limits. Thank you all again.

The Ferrari Club grew even more. It was and still is a club of some great people who all share the same passion for a great car. On some very late evenings, I questioned the many hours away from the family while working on the magazine. The thank you for the work of all of us involved came during a short visit to Maranello in December 1974. One afternoon in Enzo Ferrari's office, Ferrari told me that he always looked forward to receiving the latest issue of PH. He finished by saying that this was the best Ferrari publication in the world. Through Enzo Ferrari's support for the magazine, we were later able to enclose in one mailing signed photos of Enzo Ferrari himself and another one of Niki Lauda and a sales brochure of the then new 308 GT4 2+2.

In following years and later while living in Italy during 1979, I always found some time for many visits in Maranello. I was in the process of collecting all available information on my favorite Ferrari, the 512 S and M. Franco Gozzi helped much in identifying who raced what, where and when. What I had assembled over the years was later published in #59/60. For many years, it was my favorite issue while serving as editor of PH, and I am still to this date continuing my research on the cars. Again, with much help from the factory, historians and friends, the history of these cars becomes more complete and accurate year by year. It is unfortunate that some articles and books have since picked up many of my early errors.

A big "thank you" also has to go to Howard Payne. When I realized that I had to move to Italy again in 1984, Howard stepped in immediately and was appointed by the board of directors as the new editor of the magazine with #74 after I had produced issues #20-71 in a 17 year period.

I am still a member of the FCA. Logistics unfortunately make it difficult for me to participate in FCA events in the U.S. But, after almost four decades, I am still infected by Ferraris. Nothing equals the thrill of driving a Ferrari on some of the winding mountain roads here in Spain!

Howard Payne (1984-1987)

I learned of Prancing Horse when I worked with Manfred Lampe when we were both assigned to the same studio at Ford Motor Company. Previously, I only knew him as a Ferrari owner and enthusiast. From time to time, I would catch glimpses or overhear conversation about articles, page layouts, and deadlines, but my interest and observations were peripheral, at first. To a man, as automobile designers, we watched and listened for any bit of Ferrari news or announcement so it was natural that I would soon be pulled into the vortex of the FCA.

Once I mentioned my desire to own a Ferrari, Manfred became my mentor, and I was directed to join the FCA and to watch for "Ferraris for sale" in every issue of the club newsletter. That is, in fact, where I found my Ferrari. Now, I was not only a member but an owner too. It was at about this point in time that Manfred was asked to take an open ended assignment to be second in command of Ghia Design Studios in Turin, Italy. The problem was he had to leave in a matter of weeks not months, and I do believe his first concern was what to do with PH. Manfred invited me to his apartment on a cold Michigan Saturday morning. We discussed the editorship, and I received his assurances that he had a file of articles and hundreds of phone numbers of very good contacts and he did. Then his timetable was suddenly moved up, and, the next thing I knew, I met Manfred in the Hyatt Regency Hotel lobby. He was leaving in the morning! Of course our meeting was quick and hurried - so hurried that I was handed a 15" x12" box containing the entire office of the editor. I had been tagged "it!" There were several articles in the box and many photographs, enough to get me through three or more issues, but then I found the membership kept filling the box. During the time I was editor, the box was never emptied. In fact, the membership was the best part of being in the club and being editor. Help was just as close as the telephone from people, such as Bob Donner, Godfrey Eaton, Chuck Jordan, Peter Sachs and Bob Sutherland and countless others, who willingly provided information on their cars and answered my many questions. Harold T.C. Angel, Richard Hinson (then editor of AutoWeek), John Clinard, Jean Campiche of Longines, Dr. Franco Gozzi, Janet Johnson, Fred Leydorf and others were right there with words of encouragement and always ready to advise or help.

Early on I felt it important to the members to report the serial numbers of the cars in the photos we ran. This of course entailed many phone calls and not once was I rebuffed in my effort to learn about any Ferrari. Lessons learned? Many! Don't trust the printer's proofreader. Always add a note to all photos (and keep a copy) describing the colors of the cars in all photos. That way you will avoid the embarrassment of having a pink GTO on the cover. During my tenure, many would comment on the virtue of the V-12 over the V-8, but few mentioned the in-line fours and sixes and V-6s. Though at times strong, I'm happy to have kept such discussion out of PH. Hard work? Yes, as I had never edited anything previously. I had the printer make up a layout page and then I pasted up the copy for each page by hand. At that time I did not type, and there certainly were no PCs around every corner as there are today. As a result there were some "all nighters" just before each deadline, and you can be sure the family was called upon to help "just a bit." However, the thanks I received from the membership by far exceed ed any brickbats that may have been tossed. My thanks to Manfred, the FCA board of directors and the FCA membership for the opportunity to serve and to produce issues #75 to 83.

David Seibert (1987-1995)

In 1987, my level of Ferrari enthusiasm was undergoing a change. For years I'd enjoyed collecting, attending and participating in track events and contours and just driving the (mostly older) Ferraris I'd owned. A serious illness was beginning to put these activities out of my reach, and, when FCA President John Kelly approached me to assume the editorship of Prancing Horse, he got my immediate interest.

The FCA was growing but the magazine wasn't. The content was too often thin and not always Ferrari-related and often wasn't delivered on a fixed schedule. I shared the concerns of many members (some very vocal) that we needed to improve the magazine. So, the opportunity to implement my own ideas of what PH should be was impossible to resist.

Over my years in the club, I had made some good friends, and the first thing I did was solicit their help. Their names are in the first issue I did (#84), and I'm impressed at how many remain active in the club. Alan Boe was the first volunteer, and David Robidoux, Roger Shimmell, Bill Badurski all agreed to staff positions with the magazine. Doug Freedman, Jim Pyle, Hilary Raab, Sam Smith, Tom Williamson, Chris Current Dave Cummins and Debbie Pyle were among the contributors to that first issue.

The actual production of the magazine was assumed by Car Collector, published in Atlanta near my home. They were a great resource, handling all the things I hadn't realized would be necessary when I said "yes" to John. Casey Clavin (a Porsche and BMW enthusiast), who'd recently left Car Collector, agreed to handle the graphic design.

From the first, we established goals for the "new" PH. Most importantly, we would publish four issues each year on a strict, fixed schedule. Each issue would contain a major story on a specific Ferrari model, beginning with Alan Boe's 250 GTO history. In every issue we would plan at least one story on racing, models and literature, club activities, technical information, and a road or driving test; these stories should cover most areas of Ferrari enthusiasm. And finally, stealing an idea from Road & Track, the last page would contain an interesting or humorous photo or article. Dave Cummins' sketches, entitled "If Ettore had Designed the Dino," appeared in that first issue, combining Dino and Bugatti styling themes in a humorous way. And finally, Bob Craig's cover photo was so striking that the same concept appeared one year later on two different commercial auto magazines.

The success of that first issue started our journey. Marcel Massini joined us, producing incredibly detailed histories of important Ferraris of the past. Mitch Isobe produced a ground-breaking interview with Luigi Chinetti, and we devoted most of that issue to one of the most important men in Ferrari history.

Beginning in #100, Sue Ridgley researched and wrote a comprehensive three-part history of the publication that covered the first 100 issues. That three-part article appeared in issues #100102 and remains the best history of the early days of PH and of the FCA. We added some exceptional photographers too. One of the best was John Lutsch - go back and look at his cover photographs as they rank among the finest automotive images you'll see.

As I look back I see other names we added: Tom Oleson, whose "Was Elvis Enzo's Love Child," a review comparing Brock Yates' Ferrari book to supermarket tabloids, remains one of my favorites; Graham Gould, above all a storyteller; Bob Michaud; Michael Keyser; and many, many more. They made PH what it is today.

Perhaps the most important person, though, was that art director from the first issue. When the production of the magazine came up for bids, she took over both the art direction and the production of the magazine. She defined the look and "feel" of the magazine, and, in the process, she became a Ferrari enthusiast and expert, a talented writer and a good friend.

My health issues were resolved by a lung transplant in 1991. However, by 1995, my interest in the magazine was waning after producing issues 84-117. Casey took the last step and added editor to her publisher and art director titles.

I could not have left PH in better hands. Of everything I accomplished as editor, I'm most proud of finding Casey (even if it was a bit of an accident). It's now 16 years from when she joined me for my first issue, and she's still the backbone of Prancing Horse.

Casey Clavin (1996-2002)

My initial involvement with the Prancing Horse was as its graphic artist. As I recall, the FCA membership was at 2,700 when Dave Seibert took over as editor and requested my assistance in producing the magazine. I had limited Ferrari experience, but I had lived in Italy for a year (completing a graduate degree in Fine Arts) and there was almost nothing Italian that failed to produce a warm feeling in me. I recall my first conversation with Dave regarding the project - I wondered out loud if there was enough material to publish four whole magazines each year with only Ferraris as subject matter. Despite Dave's assurance in the affirmative, I had doubts. I was a free lancer with time in my schedule, though, so I agreed to take the job. It was a good decision. Working with Dave was fun and, as it turned out, Ferrari as a subject could sustain, not only a publication, but my own interest as well. Six issues later I increased my involvement by taking on the wider responsibilities of publisher.

Several times over the years, Dave and I discussed potential successors to him as editor: it seemed likely that his failing health would eventually require his stepping down. Ironically, thanks to a lung transplant, it was his renewed health that brought an end to his tenure. In 1996, at the request of then FCA President, Doug Freedman, I agreed to serve temporarily as the editor, starting with #119. I didn't take an editorial title at the time because the plan only called for me to occupy the position for one year I intended to keep a low profile, make no real changes, and simply maintain what Dave had established until the next "real" editor was found.

As time passed, though, and no permanent replacement materialized, Prancing Horse began to feel like it was mine. I developed opinions about content and searched out stories I wanted to see published. Once that happened, my view toward the graphic presentation changed so I redesigned the magazine's graphic program. Doing that (and the positive response it elicited) was really gratifying.

Among the high points? Painting with a broad brush, I'd say I've had immeasurable joy handling thousands of photographs and other fascinating documents loaned to us for use in the magazine, and I've attended fantastic events at great venues here and abroad, which otherwise, I'd have had no cause to attend. Also, it's been wonderful getting to know people all over the world who are so passionate about their interest. And it's been a pleasure to serve on and work with the FCA board of directors - a generous group without whom neither this magazine nor this club would exist.

With a narrower focus, I'd add that I've always been very grateful that Prancing Horse had the privilege to publish David Seielstad's exhaustively researched threepart series on the earliest Ferraris (#123, #124 and #126). I was also happy to publish the series on the club's founders (#125-128 and #137), which developed in correspondence with Larry Nicklin after we met at an Annual Meet. Larry is a letter writer of the old school - by hand, on paper - and is very entertaining. It was great to work with him.

On the humorous side, Alan Wilson is a scream, and it was fun to drag a few articles out of him. If it's true that laughter is good for one's health, Alan will be driving his Boxer to visit his great-granddaughter in her retirement home. Also, I should mention that I was thrilled a few times by unsolicited articles, which arrived unannounced and ready to go. I can't begin to list all the authors, photographers and illustrators who contributed during my tenure, but I'm very grateful to each of you - thank you for your participation.

It was a great deal of work, however, so after six years, I felt I'd given as much as I could. I was very thankful that Jeff Allison agreed to step up to the task beginning with #144. He's got the right credentials and fresh ideas - what more could any of us hope for in a replacement? I'm confident that Prancing Horse has a good guide as it passes this milestone and embarks on the next 150 issues.

Bookmark and Share